Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Power Tour 2019

Power Tour 2019 3 months 2 weeks ago #11192

The saga of CAT (the '73 Capri), Mike and Marcia on Hot Rod magazine's Power Tour 2019 event.
  • MikeSD
  • MikeSD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Loves Capris
  • Loves Capris
  • Thank you received: 4

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Power Tour 2019 3 months 2 weeks ago #11193

Looking forward to hearing about your trip, Mike!
'73 2600
Currently undergoing restoration - Almost done!
- Offy Manifold, Holley 390
- New swaybars, brakes, paint
- New interior carpet
- New Cipher Racing seats
'74 2800 - soon to be a v8
New sibling
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeSD
  • RedlandCapri
  • Capri-List.com Admin
  • Capri-List.com Admin

Power Tour 2019 3 months 2 weeks ago #11198

PT Day 0.1 (Tuesday)

Well, it's that time again. The Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour (2019) Saga. Sorry to spring this on you so suddenly but it has been a VERY busy past couple weeks. First, my brother, his wife and four kids (from Hawaii) are staying in my house for a couple weeks. Next, I have been working like a dog on my '70 Nova so it can be transported to a shop to have its interior done while I am on this trip. Finally, on the night before our departure, the perfect storm of computer and Internet problems.
  • MikeSD
  • Loves Capris
  • Loves Capris

Power Tour 2019 3 months 2 weeks ago #11199

First, my main computer went down. Next, my backup (traveling) computer decided it had to install some updates and, no, you are not allowed to do anything on the computer until they are finished installing. (VERY pushy for a small computer, if you ask me.) Lastly, I lost access to the Internet. Something about a "Denial of Service" attack on my service provider. They even got a ransom e-mail demanding Bit Coins and the whole thing. :(

Anyway, we started off on time this morning (minor miracle, that) and we have already made it across Nevada. Destination: Charlotte Motor Speedway, North Carolina. It's nice so far; just a couple small rain squalls. Truthfully, I think we are just driving between storm fronts right now. It's probably going to get dicey as we get further into the mid-west. We'll see.
  • MikeSD
  • Loves Capris
  • Loves Capris

Power Tour 2019 3 months 2 weeks ago #11200

PT Day 0.3 (Thursday)

Here we are in Sidney, Nebraska, and, if you had noticed, I had skipped yesterday‘s post. I could say it’s because we ripped across two states (Utah and Wyoming) but, in actuality, it’s because I have been having challenges posting. Still working on it.

CAT has been gobbling up the miles. The weather is beautiful; much better than I feared before we left. I-80 is, well, I-80. It is a fast, cross-country freeway interspersed with sections under repair and 45 mph zones. Still, it seems better that previous years. But there are sections I will avoid like the Plague. One of them is east out of Salt Lake City.

First, the highway knots through the city like a rope. Then, it shoots straight up a mountain ravine, narrow and twisting. And then there is the traffic. Tractor trailers claw their way up the incline while impatient motorists try to squeeze through any perceived opening, real or otherwise. Arrgh! :angry:

I have found that taking an alternate route (I-84 to the north) is well worth the 20 extra minutes of driving through serene, grassy canyons. Recommended. :)

The only excitement so far has, of course, been with our constant road companions, the truckers. Major movers of commerce, at times they are not fully attentive of their smaller brothers. Case in point: Two lane highway, trucker in the slow lane, I am slow passing him on the left. Suddenly, I see his left turn signal start to blink and I realize I was in danger of eating roadside dirt. Brief moment of panic. Pedal to the floor. CAT downshifts hard as the RPM needle flies past 5K. Marcia, who is looking down at the time, is thrown back in the seat and lets out a little “ACK!” as her Coke spills on her. CAT shoots out past the truck like a rocket, startling the driver who didn’t even know there was a car there.

You know, the usual stuff. :P
  • MikeSD
  • Loves Capris
  • Loves Capris

Power Tour 2019 3 months 2 weeks ago #11201

PT Day 0.4 (Friday)

Life in the high plains is different in unexpected ways. I grew up in California and currently live in Reno, Nevada. Mountains have always protected me, even though I didn’t know it. Sunrise and sunset times have always been somewhat abstract concepts, only relevant/accurate if you are in the middle of the ocean. The mountains make these events slow and gradual. Not so in the mid-west plains. Those times are very real.

This morning, I had the misfortune of sleeping in front of an east-facing window with the curtains open. (Rookie mistake.) At exactly 5:22 am, sunrise happened and full sunlight hit me in the face like a frying pan. Confused, I opened my eyes to see what was going on and was instantly blinded. Plains folk know about this and take precautions. Not me. I jumped up and stumbled around the room like a blind zombie until my sight slowly returned. A hard lesson. :blink:
  • MikeSD
  • Loves Capris
  • Loves Capris

Last edit: by MikeSD.
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds