Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Power Tour 2018

Power Tour 2018 9 months 2 days ago #11139

More Memories

Chopped and Channeled

SuperBird

"OMG! On this trip, I have gained weight. And it's all in my ass!" (trunk)

Grills

Early in line waiting for the Charlotte Motor Speedway to open.

The t-shirt says "Where HELL did all these CARS come from?"
  • MikeSD
  • MikeSD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Loves Capris
  • Loves Capris
  • Thank you received: 4

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by MikeSD.

Power Tour 2018 8 months 3 weeks ago #11143

PT 2018 – Day 7.8 – Finale

Last entry. We are now in Wendover, Nevada, on the west side of Utah’s Salt Flats. (Thank you very much…) Which means tomorrow, we cross Nevada and we are home.

The last seven days traveling back across the states have been interesting but unremarkable. Wind and rain have been dogging us for most if the trip. Twice, downpours have chased us off the highway while strong winds have pummeled us across Nebraska and Wyoming. In the mid-west, we learned that, despite having perfectly clear skies in the morning, by 3 pm there is more than an even chance that you will be looking at some dark, menacing clouds ahead of you. (And why is it always ahead of you? Why not behind you?)

We have also hit some pretty rough roads. The worst was probably Hwy 2, south of Lincoln, NE. It really didn’t look bad with concrete roads with regular expansion strips about 2 feet apart. But drive that at normal speeds and it sets up a resonance that will rattle your back teeth. (When I get home, I’m going over CAT with a fine-toothed comb looking for loose fasteners.)

One highlight was our overnight stay at the Little America hotel in Wyoming on I-80. We have driven by it many times, frequently stopping for gas and the obligatory ice cream cone, always taken by the quaintness and history. Well, this time, we adjusted out stops so we ended up there for the night. It was great. A picturebook slice of the best of the 1950’s. Sturdy brick houses, expansive, manicured grass lawns, and tall pines trees on an otherwise featureless prairie. It’s a big truck stop, too, with a paved parking lot in the back the size of 12 football fields.

A fact that surprised me was that Interstate 80 regularly falls victim to debilitating snow drifts and the highway has many gates which drop when it is closed until the snow can be cleared. Little America is a highway oasis where trapped truckers and travelers can wait it out with food, lodging and repair garages.

The room we stayed in could have been from a movie set of that era. Comfortable and scandalously affordable, this is going to be one of our regular cross-country stops.

We are really looking forward to being home. But I suspect it will take a day or two before I get out of the habit out of packing out when I get out of bed. I hope I didn’t annoy you (too much) with my ramblings. I have enjoyed sharing my experiences.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim5.0, Chatis, dwightwebster, RedlandCapri
  • MikeSD
  • MikeSD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Loves Capris
  • Loves Capris
  • Thank you received: 4

Power Tour 2018 8 months 3 weeks ago #11144

Thanks for the great descriptions, Mike! I thoroughly enjoyed coming along for the ride.
'73 2600
Currently undergoing restoration - Almost done!
- Offy Manifold, Holley 390
- New swaybars, brakes, paint
- New interior carpet
- New Cipher Racing seats
'74 2800 - soon to be a v8
New sibling
  • RedlandCapri
  • Capri-List.com Admin
  • Capri-List.com Admin
  • Thank you received: 3

Time to create page: 0.363 seconds