Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: A Project Revisited/Capri Man Cave

A Project Revisited/Capri Man Cave 6 months 2 weeks ago #11171

September 2, 2018

Well we got a garage with a roof! On Friday the crew started their second 12 hour shift on the garage and they got the job done regardless of the breaks required to wait out the rain. BTW, who asked for the water test on the new shingles????

They started by building the soffits and facia's and then put up the OSB 7/16ths radiant barrier. They call it Tech Shield - costs a little more but it does knock the attic temps down by about 30-40 degrees. Combine that with the perforated soffits, ridge vents and gable end vents and you should have a good handle on keeping things ventilated.

When the crew finished up on Friday it was really getting dark and they were pushing to get it done. And with the stops for the thunder and rain it had some of us wondering if they were going to make it before dark. They made it but it was too dark to look over the job real good and we had business in Waco on Saturday morning early so we hadn't gotten to looking at it real good till Sunday morning.

And of course on Sunday everything looked great. Just a lot of cleaning up to do, the yard was a mess with piled up lumber and shingles all over the place. I was up early Sunday and got right to cleaning up. Since its a holiday I'll probably get to mowing the back yard on Monday if it doesn't rain too much. The ol weather dude is calling for 80%. We'll see.

For now things are great and just in time. On Tuesday the grind starts up again with 2 apartments to prepare that we know about. October doesn't give us rest either with 3 more to prep. So it'll be back to a couple hours here and there for a while before we can stick a fork in it and call it done!

Be safe and have a good Labor Day!
William Ramsey - 65 Miles Southwest Of Houston
1974 2800 5 Speed
1973 2600 4 Speed/5.0 Transplant
2005 Ford Expedition Daily Driver Work Vehicle
2017 Nissan Rogue (Wifes Ride)
2010 Sears Craftman 23 hp Riding Mower
"It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast."
  • WildBill
  • WildBill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Loves Capris
  • Loves Capris
  • Thank you received: 1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by WildBill.

A Project Revisited/Capri Man Cave 6 months 2 weeks ago #11172

Congratulations, Bill. You now have dry space. I like that Tech Shield. Wish I knew about it when I was building MY shop. This summer, Reno had the longest stretch of 100+ days on record. I kept my shop livable using a 50 year old swamp cooler the still works great (in our VERY dry environment). I don't think that would work for you. Do you have plans for cooling this new area?
  • MikeSD
  • Loves Capris
  • Loves Capris
  • Thank you received: 4

A Project Revisited/Capri Man Cave 6 months 2 weeks ago #11173

Hey Mike, always a pleasure to talk. Yes I will run a window a/c that I'm sure will be able to keep up. The tech shield is great to knock down that heat trying to beat in from above, it also works good on walls that are facing west and getting that late afternoon blast. Yes, a dry space and I'll inch forward from here.

On your shop, you can buy, and I have used in my house a foil like radiant barrier that probably gets petty close to the tech shield advantages. It is stapled to the bottoms of the roof rafters, reflects the heat back at the roof and up the roof & out the vents - whether they are gable vents or ridge vents. I'll post up a pic tonight.

Be safe.
1974 2800 5 Speed
  • WildBill
  • Loves Capris
  • Loves Capris
  • Thank you received: 1

A Project Revisited/Capri Man Cave 6 months 1 week ago #11174

Funny that you should suggest that... I stapled 6" of insulation between my rafters last year. It made a WORLD of difference over the winter but I knew it needed to be finished. (It didn't even have drywall.)

I am currently closing the upper walls and ceiling with house wrap and corrugated metal roofing. (That should stop and leakage.) It is a slow process because it is a really high ceiling but we are on the homestretch. :)

Attachments:
  • MikeSD
  • Loves Capris
  • Loves Capris
  • Thank you received: 4

A Project Revisited/Capri Man Cave 5 months 4 days ago #11179

Just curious if you've had any progress on the new shop Bill!
'73 2600
Currently undergoing restoration - Almost done!
- Offy Manifold, Holley 390
- New swaybars, brakes, paint
- New interior carpet
- New Cipher Racing seats
'74 2800 - soon to be a v8
New sibling
  • RedlandCapri
  • Capri-List.com Admin
  • Capri-List.com Admin
  • Thank you received: 3

A Project Revisited/Capri Man Cave 4 months 3 weeks ago #11181

Just small advances lately. At Bills House of Pain we have had a slew of vacancies and they have taken massive efforts to get up to spec. Plus with the turmoil of my maintenance man going postal and walking of the job I don't have really good help to carry some of the load. When we finish the apartment we are working on right now (this Friday) we still have 4 more to flip. Sadly the maintenance man that walked off was hard working, fast at what he did, knowledgeable in many areas, was especially disrespectful of his employer, lied like Trump, got caught going through renters possessions and stole supplies & tools. Not to mention having to bail him out of jail when his wife left him in because she couldn't afford to bail the bum out. It was time to go, when he left he saved me the trouble of firing him.

Enough about the past. On the garage I have managed to nail all the required wind brackets - toe-plate to studs, top-plate to studs, and twisted brackets for the rafters to the top plate. Lots of metal and nails now required for properties subject to the forces of high winds and hurricanes. Yea, hurricanes. Couple hundred metal brackets and more than a thousand specialty nails. Also installed gable vents, cut the final hole for the window A/C unit, finalized attic access, braced out my ceiling beams (2x12), cleaned up the lumber trash pile from the yard, been fighting with Lowes trying to get a garage door installed (idiots), sprayed brush killer along the back fence, trimmed a tree in the early stages of precariously hanging over the new garage, finalizing the rough opening for the 16x7 garage door, finalized the electrical plans/layout/lighting of the various sections of the garage (still need to pull that permit), celebrating my mothers birthday, celebrating my wife and I being married 29 years, lamenting the cruise we would have been on this week had the maintenance man not left us hanging...…..yada, yada, yada.

Life goes on, lots of rain here lately and we will be within 7 feet of officially being at a major flood stage. Somewhere in that list of things above I forgot to add we have further protected ourselves by obtaining a medium sized generator. Harvey left us without power, lost food, no A/C, couldn't run the mother-in-laws oxygen machine...…...more yada. More rain coming from left over hurricane Willa and maybe Vincent (TS). Been a testing year, but will have the doors up before the end of the year, will have the Hardy siding up, will paint. Inside will then be easy, electrical, insulation drywall etc.

Yes I am still trying to remain focused on the ability to begin wrenching on the Capri's once this garage is complete. Will post some pics this weekend, for now its like totally crazy - going 6 days a week. Thanks for the interest though, and of course the support!

Be safe.
1974 2800 5 Speed
  • WildBill
  • Loves Capris
  • Loves Capris