Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Alternative material for gas tank pads

Alternative material for gas tank pads 8 years 9 months ago #169

Hey all,

After removing the gas tank from my '76 and sending it out to be restored, I received it back in perfect shape except it was missing 3 of the 4 rubber-like pads that sat on top between the tank and the body to absorb vibration. Fortunately the 4th pad had fallen off in my shop before I sent the tank out and I was able to use it to find a very inexpensive product that is almost a dead-match replacement to the original.

I went to a chain store called Tractor Supply in my area and bought a piece of conveyor belt material used to make up conveyor belts, typically for the farm equipment that uses that sort of thing. It was something like $2.49 a linear foot, is stiff yet flexible, and can be easily cut with a sharp pair of scissors. It was thinner than the original but only by approximately 1/32 of an inch. I suppose Fleet Farm or similar farm supply stores would carry the same stuff.

I stuck it to the tank by using an aeresol can of contact adhesive applied to the pad only. 3M makes a good product, but I'm sure they're are others that will work as well.

Hope this helps!

Dan
  • Capri2MN
  • Capri2MN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Really Likes Capris
  • Really Likes Capris
  • Thank you received: 0

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.574 seconds