This tip was written to the Capri-List mailing list in 2002 by Ted Szypulski.
To repair droopy Sun visors:
- Remove both visors and pull out the hinges/pins
- Clean off the pins.
- Obtain some heat shrink tubing from an electronic supply store. Get a size that is as close to a tight fit as possible before shrinking.
- Cut tubing pieces slightly longer than the hinge pin.
- Slide the tubing on the pin and shrink with a heat gun. Be careful not to overheat. The end will shrink down to a point almost.
- Let it cool.
- Dowse with alcohol and slide most of the way off the pin.
- Stick the hollow but shrunk tubing about 3/4 the way into the visor.
- Insert the pink in the tubing and wiggle it all the way in, making sure the tubing doesn't go in so far its not visible.
- Replace the visor in the car.
The pins will feel quite tights while the visor is in your hand, but will feel just right when installed in the car. There is just enough friction to keep the visor in any position, but not so much that it is difficult to move. Its like new now.